2000 Corolla - Will Not Start

Hey guys new here,

Ive searched some of the threads and nothing really matches what I have going on.

Ive replaced both O2 sensors, rebuilt the fuel injectors, and just did the valve guide seals, Now the car will not start, Ive put a new crankshaft sensor in, I matched up the timing and all it does is sputter once in a few cranks and backfire through the intake. doest even sound like its trying to kick sometimes. I shorted out the 100 amp fuse but replaced it, Could another relay short out causing it not to run? Fuel pump runs btw. need help this is driving me nuts.

Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbsup::clap::):thumbup::thumbup1::balloon: :rockon:

First of all, why did you replace so many parts? They were all diagnosed as being bad? I find that hard to believe.

I replaced so many parts due to it needs doing severe maintinece, the o2s were bad, the valve guide seals on the exhaust side were bad, the fuel injectors I heard get clogged up overtime. My thing is I jumped time cause I forgot to release the tensioner, only jumped a few teeth, it still has compression cause I put my finger over each sparkplug hole and there's pressure. I redid the timing so the crank pulley is on 0 and the two cams are aligned up at 11 and 1 o'clock. Its still backfiring through the intake and caught the maf on fire now I need a new one.... No odd ball sounds the first time I tried to start it so nothing should be bent.

Kev250R

This is my other car
Its still backfiring through the intake and caught the maf on fire now I need a new one.... No odd ball sounds the first time I tried to start it so nothing should be bent.
Sounds like you've been using a lot of starting fluid on it!

Check the compression with a gauge, it'll be a lot more accurate than your finger. Check the FSM to make sure the cams are aligned properly.

Kevin

Kev250R

This is my other car
It's time to borrow a compression gauge and a fuel-pressure gauge to see what's really going-on. Most parts stores will have those items available for lend or rent. Also if your MAF has been destroyed it won't run until that's been replaced.

Kevin

OK I got another ecu, and took the timing cover off again and double checked everything, it is all aligned up properly and its still not starting... I did let the alternator wire drop onto the frame and I did hear a pop, I replaced that fuse and I have a few relays on hand.... Please someone help.