2001 Corolla Oil Consumption questions

My son has his first car, a Corolla 2001 LE at 120,000 miles. He bought it last June, so he has had it almost
8 months. It seems to consume about one extra quart of oil per 1000 miles. No leaks underneath. I am wondering if it is because it is a smaller engine so consumes faster or is the sludge problem I read about on
here. There is some black oil sludge on inside of oil cap, not a lot but some. He got an oil change at 119, 700
miles and the oil stick is down maybe about 1/8th after going 270 miles which means likely will need to add a quart at 1,000 miles driven. He put in high mileage oil this time, and I did notice a few black specs on the oil stick this past week. I am thinking about doing nothing and just watching it as right no he drives maybe a couple thousand miles per year, and hopes to get another 3 years out of it. I am puzzled only because I got a 1998 Subaru that has 208,000 miles and does have a small external oil leak (does not burn oil, leaks it) and I put in maybe an extra half quart every 3,000 miles and really not an issue. Any experience with the Corolla oil consumption issue appreciated. I do know that using high mileage oil helps the Subaru. But so far no help on Corolla as of yet.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
The 1998-2002 Corolla's are noted for high oil consumption due to a deficient piston design.

There was a thread about this that provided a lot of great in-depth information for everyone, that was a sticky, but sticky's have now been removed and I can no longer find this thread. I spent 20 minutes doing so. It's a crying shame. Hundreds of hours worth of work to benefit everyone now down the drain. I think this will hurt the forum greatly.

Here is a thread that will provide you a little more information. It's all I could find -

http://www.corollaforum.com/threads/1999-corolla-does-your-corolla-burn-oil.3617/#post-20405