Corolla power loss

Hi. Can anyone shed any light. I have a 2002 Corolla D4D which has been experiencing power loss problems.

I live on the Isle of Man and my daughter took the car to University. She reported that in the main the car started and ran fine, but occasionally pulling off halt signs or give ways, the car would have power loss; which was worrying when a 40 tonne truck was bearing down on you. This power loss would last 5 to 10 seconds, then it would pick up and run perfectly for a few more days before it would mysteriously do it again. I swapped cars with her as I was worried that an accident would happen. I took the car to the local main dealer, but they found no faults. I looked on forums and read that the EGR could cause power loss, so I cleaned it; still problems so I replaced it. I read that it could be the mass air flow, so replaced that; still problems. One thing my daughter did report was that it seemed worse after a long run on the motorway at 70mph, the next day it would suffer. This I found surprising as long runs can usually cure ailments and it’s short runs that cause issues. Anyway, my brother in law has been using the car recently while his car has been having some work done. Now he drives VERY carefully, seldom does he exceed 50, and he has reported no power loss issues at all. However, he has told me that recently the idle is up to about 1100rpm where it is usually about 800; if he switches it off then on again, the idle will stabilise back to 800.

So is the idle connected to the power loss? And what is causing the power loss after long runs at higher speeds, but no power loss when driven very carefully?

Being a Toyota of only such young age and low (125,000) miles, I am reluctant to bin it; it should be good for same again. So can anyone please shed any light?

Thanks